Major Additions to Galactic Civilizations III[edit | edit source]
- Massive scale: The new, 64-bit, multi-core engine increases the number of possible opponents from 16 to 128 with a similar explosion in maximum map sizes.
- Ideology: Player actions give points towards various ideologies, which give civilizations unique abilities, planetary improvements and bonuses.
- Multiplayer: For the first time, Galactic Civilizations is a multiplayer game with full support for custom civilizations, saved multiplayer games and much more.
- Unique technology trees: Play as one of eight major galactic powers (or design your own), each with their own unique technology tree, ships, colony improvements and abilities.
- New Battle System: Players can now design ships and assign them a specific combat role. When fleet battles occur, you can now view the battle in a cinematic style to see your creations in action.
- New Colony Manager: The location of a planetary improvement now matters. Adjacency bonuses and planetary resources have major impacts on what a planet is strong (or weak) at accomplishing.
The following table  compares the notable features of the different games of the Galactic Civilization franchise, including Crusade and the rest of the expansions of Galactic Civilizations III.