Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
New in Galactic Civilizations III
Major Additions to Galactic Civilizations III[edit | edit source]
- Massive scale: The new, 64-bit, multi-core engine increases the number of possible opponents from 16 to 128 with a similar explosion in maximum map sizes.
- Ideology: Player actions give points towards various ideologies, which give civilizations unique abilities, planetary improvements and bonuses.
- Multiplayer: For the first time, Galactic Civilizations is a multiplayer game with full support for custom civilizations, saved multiplayer games and much more.
- Unique technology trees: Play as one of eight major galactic powers (or design your own), each with their own unique technology tree, ships, colony improvements and abilities.
- New Battle System: Players can now design ships and assign them a specific combat role. When fleet battles occur, you can now view the battle in a cinematic style to see your creations in action.
- New Colony Manager: The location of a planetary improvement now matters. Adjacency bonuses and planetary resources have major impacts on what a planet is strong (or weak) at accomplishing.
Detailed comparison[edit | edit source]
|Feature||GalCiv OS/2||GalCiv I||GalCiv II||GalCiv III||Notes|
|Set the morality of opponents||Through faction designer and ideology. Merged into base game.|
|Faction designer||Limited version merged into base game.|
|Political parties||In some ways merged into the government mechanic.|
|Trade bartering||Merged into base game.|
|Simulated galactic economy||Merged into base game.|
|Planet surface construction|
|Tactical improvement placement|
|Elections and governments|
|Flavor text editor||Merged into base game.|
|Stand-alone ship designer||Merged into base game.|
|Play as alien race|
|Planetary artifacts w/ chargeable powers|
|Planetary resources||Only accumulate in .|
|Accumulating resources||Merged into base game.|
|Tactical ship design|
|Man on the Street||Merged into base game.|
|Hire a Mercenary|